Ever Wonder How It Works?
- 1.1 Communicating in a Connected World - Explain the concept of network communication.
- 1.2 Local Networks - Explain the roles of devices in a network.
- 1.3 Building a Simple Network - Build a functioning network.
Networks in Our Daily Lives
- 2.1 Getting Online - Explain the basic requirements for getting online.
- 2.2 Other Network Considerations - Explain the importance of network representations.
- 2.3 Cabling and Media - Build an Ethernet cable.
Communicating on a Local Network
- 3.1 Principles of Communications - Explain the importance of standards and protocols in network communications.
- 3.2 Talking the Language of Networking - Explain how protocol model layers represent network functionality.
- 3.3 How do Ethernet Networks Work? - Explain how communication occurs on Ethernet networks.
- 3.4 How are Networks Built? - Explain why routers and switches are important in a network.
- 3.5 Routing Across Networks - Configure devices on a LAN.
- 4.1 IPv4 Addresses and Subnet Masks - Explain the features of an IPv4 address.
- 4.2 Types of IPv4 Addresses - Explain the features of the different types of IPv4 addresses.
- 4.3 How IPv4 Addresses are Obtained - Configure a DHCP server.
- 4.4 IPv4 Address Management - Explain the need for public and private addressing.
- 4.5 Addressing with IPv6 - Explain the need for IPv6.
Providing Network Services
- 5.1 How Clients and Servers Work Together - Explain how clients access Internet services.
- 5.2 Internet Protocols at Work - Explain how the protocols of the transport layer support network communications.
- 5.3 Application Protocols and Services - Explain the function of common Internet client/server applications.
Building a Home Network
- 6.1 What Does a Home Network Look Like? - Compare different types of network connections.
- 6.2 How Does Wi-Fi Work? - Explain how Wi-Fi functions.
- 6.3 Setting Up Your Wireless Network - Connect wireless PC clients to a wireless router.
- 6.4 Choosing ISP Services - Compare the options available for connecting to an ISP.
- 6.5 Security Considerations in a Home Network - Configure a wireless LAN device to protect data and the network.
- 6.6 Mobile Devices in the Network - Explain how to configure mobile devices to use various wireless technologies.
- 7.1 Am I at Risk? - Explain network security threats.
- 7.2 Methods of Attack - Explain other types of network security threats.
- 7.3 How Can I Protect My Network? - Explain how software tools can mitigate network security threats.
- 7.4 How Do Firewalls Protect Networks? - Configure a firewall to control network traffic.
Configuring Cisco Devices
- 8.1 Cisco LAN Devices - Explain the basic features of Cisco LAN switches.
- 8.2 Internetworking Devices - Explain the features of a Cisco router.
- 8.3 Exploring the Cisco IOS - Explain how to use the Cisco IOS
- 8.4 Using Show Commands - Use common show commands to view device status.
- 8.5 Configuring a Cisco Network - Build a switch and router network.
Testing and Troubleshooting
- 9.1 What to Do When It Does not Work - Explain the steps to take when a new configuration does not work as expected.
- 9.2 Troubleshooting Issues in Networks - Troubleshoot network problems with common network utilities.
- 9.3 Identifying and Fixing Common Problems - Troubleshoot a network connectivity problem.
- 9.4 Working with Customer Support - Explain how to work with customer support.